Thursday, April 4, 2013

How to freeze green peas | How to make frozen peas at home

It all started 2 years back when I got a pack of store-bought frozen peas. One whiff after opening the packet and it went straight to the bin. There was an undescribable awkward smell coming out of the pack which I couldn't stand at all and that was the end of my frozen-product-shopping. Not that I buy lots of frozen products. I once bought a chicken salami to have on our morning sandwiches but the high sodium content put me off and I have never tried frozen products since then, the frozen peas being the only exception.

After that incident, I have been looking forward to the green peas season and when it comes I stock my pantry with kgs of peas. And then its peas season for us. I pair it with aloo or gobi or make peas masala for rotis, simple yet flavor and nutrition packed recipes. I put them in tupperware boxes and freeze them but they dont last for more than two weeks, they sprout and then it had to be used. That is when I started browsing for recipes on how to store peas and then I came across this method of blanching and storing. Its simple and she said she stores upto 8 kgs of peas this way. Sounded quite catchy and so I followed her recipe. I did this when the peas season was in full bloom, when they were so cheap, sometime in January and I still have nearly 2 kgs of peas safe and sound in my freezer. The above pic was taken on the day of blanching and storing and the others recently. They shrink but don't be worried, thats how they are. I know this post is late for the peas season but do take a note and try it next year.
Oh and I had to mention, how my kid helped me with the de-seeding from the pods. He enjoyed it totally and you could see him sitting in middle of the pods, fully covered with pea-skins whenever I sat with my haul of the day. And so it makes a great kids-activity too :P

~*What U Need*~
Green Peas - 1/2 kg
Ziplock pouches

How I Made it:
Remove the peas from the pod, rinse and set aside. Boil water in a big pan until it comes to a rolling boil. Add the peas to the water. Initially it will sink to the bottom.

After 2 mins it will start floating to the top. Remove the peas immediately with a slotted spoon. Allow to dry in a clean towel till there is no moisture. Store it in a ziplock bag. fFreeze it. Whenever needed take the required amount and thaw it. Use as desired.

How to thaw frozen peas:
Take the desired amount of frozen peas, soak it in room temperature water and use after it comes to room temperature. Rinse before using.

Homemade frozen peas ready to be stored.

** My Notes:
** The above method is known as blanching. This way it gives more shelf life.
** Remove the peas as soon as they move to the top. Donot overcook.
** You can easily double the recipe and make larger batches.

So thats it Folks...
With Love,

Signs off!!!

Pssst... Like my post... Don't miss any recipes from us
Get the latest updates straight to your email! Subscribe NOW for free!

46 comments:

  1. Sounds easy!! Very useful post!! :)
    http://www.rita-bose-cooking.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Useful post Vimitha,thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like your first step wise picture vimitha. Hugs to your little one. Like you I buy only frozen green peas from shops. after coming here, i stopped buying that too as we are getting frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is kuttu disturbing u or helping u..nice post.. i hv to do tis..i jus buy frozen ones pretty higher side..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kuttan is disturbing Kalps... always and anytime :)

      Delete
  5. That's a very useful post, I know, kids love to do this..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I freeze a lot of fruits and vegetables. But after a quick blanch, I put them in ice cold water - that stops the cooking process. Then I drain them, let them dry up a little, and freeze in a ziploc bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Nisha, will try it next time.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing the kitchen basics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. useful n i think 2 little hands helping u there ha..haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's there to pluck the peas that I take Maha... But he enjoys being there.

      Delete
  9. Valuable and useful tips...Will try this one...thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I buy most frozen peas from the store. Nice post. Hope your little helper is actually helping you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I think you know abt kids and how they help us ;)

      Delete
  11. Very useful post!! Thanks for sharing vimitha :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. very useful Post

    http://www.followfoodiee.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very informative post...
    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  14. U should follow this steps.. Very useful...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very useful post Vimitha. Me too follow the same process.

    today's post:
    http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.in/2013/04/egg-chowmein.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's so cute ur lil one helping...here we get good frozen peas..but when we move back to India I can try this way :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Useful tip, Vimitha, how I wish I get fresh peas from the shrubs here!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used to freeze straight away without blanching..will try this whenever I do it next time.. Here in Brazil we get mostly the frozen green peas in the stores.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very informative post! Will definitely try this method :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. vimi tnx for sharing, useful tips...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very useful, helps to enjoy the goodness of fresh peas much longer!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice idea of making frozen peas.Thanks for sharing dear.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very informative post. Will surely try it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I buy frozen peas and am never quite satisfied with the results. Your idea for freezing our own is worth trying out!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very useful post,well made...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Useful and needy post dear..Love your pictorial

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your precious comments... Your comments are my best critics... Do visit often...

Blogging tips
.